A cynic might suggest that David Cameron is probably delighted to have to deal with a campaign for Scottish independence, a row with Argentina over the Falklands, and howls of outrage about his plans to transform the NHS in England.
Every time he jumps into a debate on any of these topics he is not talking about the economy.
Likewise, last year’s war in Libya, outrage on his own backbenches about Europe, excitement about royal weddings and jubilees, and the upcoming diversionary fantasia of the Olympics have all captured national attention.
Labour has a “plan for jobs” which involves a £2bn tax on bank bonuses to be spent on affordable homes and employment for 100,000 young people, plus a temporary reversal of the VAT cut.
Labour leader Ed Miliband has improved his batting average at Prime Minister’s Questions since the start of the year, and Shadow Business Secretary Chuka Umunna is one of the most interesting figures in the Commons, but I do not sense that recession-battered families are looking at their party with eyes bright with hope.
The economy is no longer viewed as a machine with clearly marked levers that an elected politician can pull. Rather, we look at economic trends with the same rapt horror with which our ancestors watched lunar eclipses.
The downturn and recession has killed banks, felled governments, and brought Rome and Athens to the brink of social disaster.
Voters know it would be ludicrous to pin all the blame for Britain’s miserable economic state on the decisions of Gordon Brown’s Government; but the flip-side is they do not look to any party for salvation.
Rather, just as hungry serfs once watched wintry fields and dreamt of spring, there is the vague hope that the same mysterious forces which sent the economy into the tail-spin will send happier days.
Rows over the Human Rights Act, changes to public sector bureaucracy and train lines can excite greater passions than sheets of statistics which document social misery.
On a bleak day in Britain, a return to full employment can seem as unlikely a concept as a Beatles reunion tour. But radicals emerge in every generation who articulate hopes and fears and present a vision for change – whether it be Bevan or Thatcher, the Chartists or the Tea Party, frustrations do not bubble for long before change-makers emerge.
This is real politics and it is a dangerous game. There is pain at the heart of the UK and if the political class fails to represent those who are suffering there is the real risk, for better or for worse, they will be swept aside.
A Thursday Column.
- Nicole Richie Covers Ocean Drive Magazine
- Cate Blanchett Covers UK Harpers Bazaar
- Behind the Scenes of Twilight: Beauty Secrets
- Katy Perry Covers Interview Magazine
- 2012 Independent Spirit Awards Red Carpet Best Dre...
- Aishwarya Rai HD Wallpapers
- Jaime King for Wall Street Journal Magazine
- Jaime King for O, The Oprah Magazine
- Most Famous Disney Cartoons
- Britney Spears Hits 2 Million Followers on Google+...
- Madonna EXCLUSIVE ‘Girl Gone Wild’
- Jessie J Covers Rihanna’s "We Found Love"
- Amanda Seyfried in the Movie Gone
- Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge, Walks Her Do...
- Victoria Beckham at the Vanity Fair Oscars Party
- Elton John's Oscar Viewing Party Red Carpet Best D...
- For me the best dressed party of Oscars night wasn...
- Introducing Lumixyl Revitaleyes Brightening Eye Cr...
- Would You (Should You)? ever wear Skinny Jeans
- Worst Dressed Celebs at the 2012 Oscars
- Best Dressed Celebs at the 2012 Oscars
- Kate Beckinsale HD Wallpapers
- Charlene Wittstock, HSH Princess of Monaco Attends...
- 2012 Academy Awards Red Carpet: 'Not Quite' Dresse...
- 2012 Academy Awards Red Carpet Best Dressed
- 2012 Academy Awards Red Carpet: All White
- Bookends of a Beautiful Day
- Miranda Kerr In Victoria’s Nice Dresses 2012
- Summer Lawn Collection For Women 2012
- Bipasha Basu on Star Week March 2012
- Selena Gomez New Shorter Hairdo
- Zac Efron at 2012 Independent Spirit Awards
- Bittoo Boss Movie Theatrical Trailer
- Blood Money First Look Trailer
- Celebs Workout Outfit
- Oscar Nominations for Best Picture
- Cosmeceuticals in the Press
- Shriya Saran on Femina March 2012
- Jennifer Love Hewitt on ‘Client List’ Set
- Amrita Rao Miss Players Photo Shoot
- Adriana Lima HD Wallpapers
- Airline Long Shirt In Fashion
- W Magazine Best Performances: The Chaps
- W Magazine Best Performances: The Good Girls
- Alessandra Ambrosio HD Wallpapers
- W Magazine Best Performances: The Strange Girls
- It's All White for The Help at Essence Black Women...
- Cute and Stylish Small Hand Tattoos For Girls 2012...
- Bridal Hijab Designs 2012
- Leonardo Di Caprio Hairstyles 2012
- Miley Cyrus Hairstyles 2010
- Hrithik Roshan Shirts And Hairstyle
- Celebs At Mijwan Fashion Show 2011
- Anarkali Salwar Kameez
- New Shalwar Kameez Designs 2012
- Kim Kardashian Dress High Quality
- Jilbabs Hijab Dresses
- Islamic Fashion 2011
- Diesel Men T-Shirts 2012
- Men's Spiked Hairstyles Long Spikes 2012
- Men's Spiked Hairstyles Classic 2012
- Emo Boys Fashion
- Women Long Hair Styles Ideas 2011
- Spring/Summer 2012 Latest Hijab Fashion Trend in P...
- Fashion Style Men Suits Trends 2012
- Winter Japanese Hairstyles Trends 2011-2012
- Men’s Fashion Casual Style Korean Trends 2011
- Winter Wool Sweater Dress For Women
- Chrismas 2012 Fashion Korean Long Sleeve Sweaters
- Sweater Korean Fashion Knit Wear For Winter 2012
- Muslim Clothing and Hijab for Women 2012
- Beautiful Hijab Fashion Style Trends 2012
- New Diesel Dresses
- Diesel Spunkir Black Check Shirt 2012
- Beautiful Fashion Eye Makeup
- Fashion Earrings Photo Gallery
- Fashion Eye Makeup Photo Gallery
- Shahrukh Khan hairstyle in Don-2 2012
- The Dying Art of Swearing
- Olivia Wilde Wallpaper
- Lesser-Spotted Europhiles
- Distracted Minds
- Big Bang Kaley Cuoco Covers Zooey Magazine
- 2012 Costume Designers Guild Awards Red Carpet: Be...
- Jodi Breakers Movie Stills & Wallpapers
- Talash Movie Wallpapers & Posters
- Tavi Gevinson and Cindy Lauper in New Uniqlo Campa...
- Jessica Chastain in Elie Saab Pre-Oscars
- London Paris New York Movie Stills Wallpapers
- Happy 37th Birthday Drew Barrymore!
- Kelly Clarkson Covers Demi Lovato’s ‘Skyscraper’
- Selena Gomez Wearing Shirts
- Avril Lavigne Hairstyles
- Victoria Justice Hairstyles 2011
- Angelina Jolie Hairstyles 2011
- Channing Tatum Spiked Hairs 2011
- Megan Fox Hairstyles And Dresses
- Paula Patton Silver Mini Dress Photoshoot
- Formal Pakistani Dresses by Muzna Hameed
- D&G Fashion Show
- ▼ February (343)
- ► 2011 (872)
- ► 2010 (132)
- ► 2009 (55)