When David Cameron heard this week that the House of Lords had just defeated his Government’s plans for a £26,000-a-year household benefit cap he might have felt a flash of envy at the law-making freedom enjoyed in the National Assembly and the Scottish Parliament.
The Welsh Government does not have to worry about a troublesome second chamber. But if checks and balances are considered essential at Westminster to prevent the executive whipping through hasty and dangerous legislation, why are such safeguards not in place in Cardiff, not to mention Edinburgh or Belfast?
Many politicians will tell you that (a) people do not want to pay for more politicians and (b) the Assembly has a splendid record of performing “pre-legislative scrutiny” before drafting laws.
Especially in the wake of last year’s referendum on full law-making powers for the Assembly, these two arguments are increasingly unsatisfactory.
On the first point, there is no need to build a great Gothic House of Lords in Cardiff Bay.
There are other ways of enhancing scrutiny. If groups of citizens can be brought together in juries to rule on murder cases and high crimes why should they not be able to debate and amend individual pieces of legislation?
A far more controversial suggestion would be that if Welsh MPs (soon to be cut from 40 to 30) are banned from touching English legislation in Westminster they could serve their electorate in Wales by performing the function of a second chamber for the Assembly.
The argument the Assembly does not need such a safety valve because it performs a higher standard of scrutiny before producing legislation is troubling if not patronising. Essentially, it is saying that Welsh people should trust AMs to consult and think about things in more detail than MPs.
A campaigner against plans for presumed consent on organ donation recently described in astonishment how the soon-to-close consultation does not ask the public whether they want the policy to go ahead or not. Instead, there are questions such as: “Do you agree discussions between clinicians and family in the event of an individual’s death, will identify and safeguard those who lack capacity?”
The situation is made more urgent in Wales because there is no equivalent of the restless army of backbenchers that keeps the coalition on its toes. Of the 30 Labour AMs, eight are in the cabinet, three are deputy ministers one is a presiding officer, and another is a chief whip.
The 2004 Richard Commission called for 20 more AMs and the new power and prominence of the Assembly means the case for reform should not be ignored.
A Thursday Column.
- Candice Swanepoel and Behati Prinsloo Play Ball
- Candice Swanepoel for Prabul Gurung Spring 2012
- Exuviance Skinrise Bionic Tonic Reveiw
- Nicole Scherzinger is out for Season Two of ‘X Fac...
- Gabrielle Wortman Debuts ‘VooDoo Love’
- Happy 31st Birthday! Justin Timberlake
- Dermaroller: Medik8 Dermaroller
- Meet Medik 8
- Candice Swanepoel in St Barts for Victoria Secret ...
- Special Wallpapers for Valentines Day
- Jason Wu for Target Launch
- Taylor Swift Style January 2012
- Elizabeth Olsen Covers ASOS Magazine February 2012...
- Gorgeous Irina Shayk Hairstyles
- Kim kardashian Hot Sizzling Dress
- 2012 SAG Awards Red Carpet: Worst Dressed
- 2012 SAG Awards Red Carpet: Best Dressed
- 2012 SAG Awards Red Carpet Best Dressed in Light a...
- 2012 SAG Awards Red Carpet: Best Dressed in Colour...
- How to use a Dermaroller
- Shakira Wallpapers and Photos
- First Trailer - Aamir Khan’s Talaash
- Miley Cyrus White Dress Photoshoot
- Genelia Dsouza Cute Wallpapers
- Public Slimdowns
- Madonna & Cee Lo Green Duet
- Kim Kardashian Red Hot Dress
- Louis Vuitton Spring Summer 2012 is Ice Cream Pret...
- Lara Stone for Calvin Klein Jeans 2012
- Candice Swanepoel for Vogue China in Urban Sports
- 36Magazine Vamps It Up
- Best Love Quotes (Display Pictures)
- 2012 Latest Fashion Photography
- Anne Hathaway Hot Wallpapers
- Elizabeth Banks in Emilio Pucci
- Alexa Chung Named Creative Director of Superga
- SA Model Katryn Kruger Opens and Closes Valentino ...
- David Beckham Covers UK Men's Health March 2012
- Evangeline Lilly HD Wallpaper
- Where's the Welsh Safety Valve?
- Nargis Fakhri Hot Wallpapers
- Sunny Leone at AVN Entertainment Expo 2012
- Lana de Rey. In London. On Complex Cover.
- Victoria for Victoria Beckham Trailer for Viral Vi...
- Michelle Obama in Barbara Tfank at State of the Un...
- Kate Moss for Mango By Terry Richardson
- Clarisonic Pro Sonic Skin Cleansing System
- Victoria Beckham for Japanese Numero Magazine
- Cameron Diaz for Versace and Dior in Paris
- Kirsten Dunst in Black & White
- Mia Wasikowska for Miu Miu Spring 2012
- W Magazine Best Performances
- Trend Alert: Leather Trousers
- Elizabeth Olsen One Year Later at Sundance Film Fe...
- Oscar de la Renta Spring/Summer 2012 Campaign
- 2012 Producers Guild Awards Red Carpet
- Celebs Twitter Pics This Week
- Celebrities Enjoying Snow
- Robert Pattinson GQ Russia Photoshoot
- Moment of Love (Photos)
- Ritesh Deshmukh and Genelia D'Souza Getting Marrie...
- Kelly Brook Hot Photoshoot Ever
- Selena Gomez Underwater Fragrance Shoot
- Rihanna & Coldplay Duet For 2012 Grammy Awards
- Kim Kardashian Dresses Fashion 2012
- Florence Welch's Vintage Swimwear Style
- Elizabeth Banks and Kyra Sedgwick at New York Scre...
- Carey Mulligan in Roland Mouret
- Kirsten Dunst in Yellow Stella McCartney and Rodar...
- Aestheticare at Celebrity Skin
- Jessica Chastain Shines in Monique Lhuillier
- Republicans and Dennis Skinner
- The Vanishing Kingdom
- Taylor Swift Covers US Vogue February 2012
- The Art of Elisium Heavan Gala
- Zooey Deschanel Covers Allure Magazine
- Rachel Bilson Raps Call Me Doctor
- Happy 27th Birthday Minissha Lamba
- Save Me – Shayne Ward
- Underworld Awakening 3D
- Laura Kaeppeler Miss America 2012
- Paula Patton At Golden Globe Awards
- Salma Hayek at 2012 Golden Globes
- Charlize Theron for Elle France
- Charlize Theron Covers W Magazine February 2012
- Charlize Theron in Alexander McQueen
- Megan & Liz Debut ‘Old School Love’
- Golden Globes (2012) Winners
- Vanessa Hudgens At 38th Annual People’s Choice Awa...
- Oprah Winfrey in Mumbai
- Holllywood Makeup Secret Lycogel
- Happy 30th Birthday Pitbull
- Celebrities and their look alike new and old lover...
- The Top 10 Blondes in Hollywood
- 17th Annual Critics' Choice Awards (Photos)
- Jennifer Lopez & Marc Anthony Reunite
- Madonna says Lady Gaga ripped off her song 'Expres...
- Jan Marini: Announcing the Nobel Prize
- Brad Pitt & Charlize Theron Grace W Magazine
- Veena Malik Hot Item Song "Channo"
- ▼ January (130)
- ► 2011 (872)
- ► 2010 (132)
- ► 2009 (55)